[ao16aprs] perlAPRS

I've read a few of the recent postings about the lone sailor
/camper overdue and lost.  Seems to me that perlAPRS could come into play
here.  An aprs equiped person could register at some server on the aprs
network or on the internet ( like filing a flight plan)  This reqistration
could then be downloaded to an APRS server running perlAPRS.  When the
person didn't arrive at t his or her destinatio within a certain amount of
time after their eta,  perlAPRS could send out a message to the appropiate
authorities.  The camper/sailor could also send a short message via aprs if
they knew they where going to be late and wanted to update thier "plan".

This way,  no one has to sit at a computer screen 24/7 waiting for
distress call.

Is something like this do-able?

Tate
N3BXZ