[ao16aprs] Re: tnc's for Tracknet

Ok. Just got off the phone with Kantronics. tech person didn't have a
clue that we were messing around with the PACSATS. Said, why do you want
to do that , I don't think the PACSAT's are working anymore! So I
explained to them what we want to do, was told very nicely that there is
no time to work on that unless it becomes a marketable item. It seems to
me you get different levels of tech support from Kantronics, good and
bad. Whoever picks up the phone.   I picked up this tnc cheep, but it
doesn't have a schematic with it. Does anyone have a schematic for a
kpc-3, pre plus version? If so could you scan it in and email it to me
at....

      kb2wqm@amsat.org

On using the MFJ1270C wirh the PacComm F/W the tnc costs $115 the F/W
costs $35 plus shipping total of $146, I might as well buy the PacComm
tiny tnc  mark II. It is a  much smaller package for $149 plus shipping.
I already have a PacComm satellite modem set, I just want to put together
a smaller package for tx only to use on the boat, travel, etc.  The
PacComm satellite modem set is 2 seperate tnc's, somewhat bulky compared
to a kpc-3.

73 Jeff kb2wqm

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:36:46 -0600 Earl Needham <KD5XB@AMSAT.ORG> writes:
> At 08:44 AM 9/24/1999 -0400, kb2wqm@juno.com sent:
> >
> I have an MFJ 1270C, I was getting ready to modify for manchester
> encoding. Looking over the manual it appears it doesn't support
> GPS. Is this true? Anyone using the 1270C have it working with a GPS?
>Well, I have a 1270B, and it wouldn't do GPS mode until I  got the
latest
> PacComm firmware and put in it.  They're TNC-2 clones, BTW, and the
> PacComm  firmware works great in the 1270B.  I believe the 1270C
requires a
> jumper  mod, but not too difficult at all. Otherwise I don't see using
it for tracknet, I can return it.
> Going to call Kantronics today, on moding the KPC-3 non-plus I picked
up  cheap.

>This should work with a GPS with the upgrade chip. Don't count the MFJ
out just yet -- you might
  check on the   APRSSIG and see what folks think.  *I* think the MFJ is
very workable...