[ao16aprs] UI digipeating via AO16/LO19 (fwd)

For your APRS info, here is what I posted to AMSAT after Jeff's AO16
successes this weekend...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 01:16:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bob Bruninga <bruninga@nadn.navy.mil>
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org

Maybe to help the Satellite community understand what we are trying to do
with APRS via satellites and these early tests on AO16/LO19 with UI
packets, it might be useful to think of it as "worldwide two-way LIVE
amateur message paging".  Several things underlie this interest:

1)  The Kenwood THD7 HT is capable of sending text messages from its
keyboard and receiving and displaying them on its LCD display.  With the
MIR digipeater, we thus found that we could send and receive messages from
our SHirt pockets with rubber ducks.   Thus we HAVE the handheld amateur
satellite radio!  Now, without MIR, we need another satellite.

2)  We have a worldwide APRS informally linked Internet network that
distributes any packet heard ANYWHERE to EVERYWHERE.  Kind of like
cellular phone systems.  The internet links all the cells on the planet
together, while the users are all using their radios within their cell.
But with out any knowledge of how, they can communicate with anyone
anywhere simply by knowing their CALLsign.

3)   The IGates that link every cell into the internet are nothing
special!  They  are nothing more than ANYONE who happens to be running
APRS while he is Logged on to his ISP (Even if he is doing something
else!).  THus, there are no special nodes, software, or Gateways.
Anyone and everyone can be a gateway at any time.  Thus, as long as anyone
can be heard anywhere, he can communicate anywhere.  Thus, as long as we
have at least ONE station on each continent listening to AO16/LO19, then
any messages via that satelite can go ANYWHERE on the planet within the
APRS infrastructure in real time.

4) Thus, the desire for a Satelite Digipeater to allow remote users who
are not near any of the terrestrial network, to send and receive messages
during a pass.  Remember, in APRS, a MESSAGE is typically ONE LINE or so.
You can say a LOT in one line if you want to...  As a UI packet, there is
NO connection, NO acks, NO timeouts, NO Queues.  As long as you see your
one or two packets digipeated, then you can assume they got there...

5) Since APRS is a live two-way system, All of the above, assumes that the
recepient of a message has his radio on.  In APRS there is no store-and-
forward.  Messages are deliverd LIVE or not at all.  With one exception.
A message can be addressed to "EMAIL" and a server written by WU2Z will
ACK the message and wrap it into an Email message for the internet.

Thus, today I received the following: