[ao16aprs] Re: AO-16/APRS planning

In a message dated 08/30/1999 10:27:40 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
bruninga@nadn.navy.mil writes:

<<
 3)  Unattended operation.  The HOLY GRAIL!  This is what we need inorder
 ot have the dreamed of worldwide automatic use of AO-16 and LO 19 for
 tracking mobiles worldwide...

 bob

Hello Bob and the group.
What I think we need is a pks modem downlink and manchester up link in a
single package.
I do have a aea 232 psk SSB modem and can check up links in my coverage area.
I use wisp and set the frequences exact in the software. I can recieve  digi
packets fine and catch most of the pass using wisp to do the dopler shift.

Downlink is very expensive. We'll need Single Side Band recievers in the 70
cm .
$1000 for an all mode
$ directional antennas and rotors $700.
Psk modem  $ 400.
Computer $ 700.
 Wisp  $40.00 (TO a good cause)
So downlink alone is $2800. for special equiptment . For us only at 1200 baud.

Now I know you don't need manchester ecoding to us the aprs back-bone.
As I understand we just need to uplink on 144.39 mhz.FM  using regular paket .
Proving we can see a earth link we will make in into the thing.

However I keep thinking of people in the field using this as a
saftey/emergency
way to get traffic out of the booneies.

To do this we just need a 2 meter fm rig and a arrow antenna combination.

To point the antenna it would help If we could hear the bird? this is the
Field problem.
Know of any dual band recievers 2 meter up and 70 cm SSB Down?  Or we just
send blindly at aproximately the right pass time , which we could perdict
ahead of time and <print> and carry the times.

SO I guess this simple mod (which ain''t to simple for me a KPC3/9612
customer.)
Or buy a aea2232 modem for $700.
The 1200 baud pacsat. AO-16 and LO-19 Are underused, In my oppioun now.

KB0VBZ
Rick.
P.S> Bob saw you diging off of Mir while you were in the Grand Canyon. Using
the Kenwood ht and APRS

---
You are currently subscribed to ao16aprs as: lyris.ao16aprs@tapr.org