[ao16aprs] Re: AO-16/APRS planning

I work ao-16 every night during the winter months using a Yaesu FT-736R and
an L.L.Grace DSP-12 tnc (the best). I use the Kansas City Tracker and Tuner
to drive the Yaesu antenna rotor which tracks the sats with a pair of
Cushcraft multi-element crossed yagis with the pre-amps mounted at the
antennas. One computer does the tracking and another one runs the
communication program  PB-PG. All coax is 9913. The tracking program is
usually RealTrak but InstantTrack will also work in a pinch. For digi work
Procomm Plus is fine. These are all DOS programs. I've never had any luck
with the Windows-based programs. The Kansas City Tuner does a decent job of
following the doppler for unattended passes but there are such orbital
fluctuations and other phenomena that only half the pass may get copied. For
really good copy I hand tune with the mike click and get some really good
downloads. After hundreds of passes your  ear will pick up the subtle
frequency changes and anticipate upcoming copy problems. One problem is in
the harmonics. There are several signals that sound good but only one has the
info you need. This just takes practice.
However, some nights nothing seems to work and no other hams are having
success either. I have found the polarity switch to be a big help because the
PACSAT signal can go from right-nand to left-hand polarity in an instant. I
have had many digi QSOs on Pacsat and Lusat and Italsat but the computers
must have their time set accurately and up-to-date keplarian elements are a
must. I also believe that downloading the signal on SSB is a lot easier than
uploading it on FM to PacSat. I use a vertical antenna for the 0 to 5 degree
part of a pass and it works well but is useless for an overhead pass. That is
the only antenna I have working now and I am monitoring PacSat for any APRS
digis.   Dave. N8ULD  Columbus, Ohio

---
You are currently subscribed to ao16aprs as: lyris.ao16aprs@tapr.org